The Science of Today is Technology of Tomorrow !
As technology involved our lives are more confined by Mobile Phones. Almost every house in the world has a mobile phone. And the revolution that changed the whole mobile industry is ANDROID. Android changed the Telecom industry like no one else did. It changed the Perspective of people of looking towards mobile phone. Android miserably changed people’s life. The another industry that affect human life is Automobile industry. You cant imagine how simpler our life has become due to automobiles. In fact personal cars has become symbol of prestige for many people and their basic need also. Although in India most of the people can’t afford car but that day is not too far when common people will also be able to afford these vehicle.
With the brief introduction and overview of the terms, lets move on to our topic Android Auto. Basically Android Auto is combination of two leading technologies as it’s name suggest Android and Automobile. Android Auto is app developed by Google which connects with your Car Dashboard head unit and gives you the functionality of using your mobile phone on the Head Unit. This reduces the challenges caused by using mobile phone while driving. It is fact that using mobile phone while driving is unsafe, it is also illegal in some countries. Android Auto simplifies the work of person driving the car in great extent. It casts your mobile phone on the head unit. But this doesn’t mean that your entire phone interface will be available on the head unit, because that will still cause distraction while driving. Instead some selected categories only will be available in the interface such as Map, Messaging and Entertainment. But take note your car’s head unit should be compatible with Android Auto.
Android Auto was launch back in 2015 as a way of connecting an Android smartphone to compatible infotainment systems of car. Recently, an Android Auto update brought features such as Google Assistant, group messaging and wireless connectivity to the service.
How to Connect Android Auto with your Car Dashboard head unit ?
- For that you have to download the Android Auto app from Play Store.
- For Connecting Android Auto, You have to connect your phone to your head unit with USB.
- After you connect the USB your Head unit will automatically detect Android Auto and will show interface on it.
- And you are done you will be able to see selected applications from your phone on Dashboard head unit.
Which Cars Support Android Auto ?
Hyundai was first to design support for Android Auto. Here is the list of Automobiles that will be offering Android Auto support.
- Touran II
- Audi Q7
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Soul EV
- Chevrolet Cruze
- Subaru Impreza
- Maruti Suzuki Dzire
- Vitara Brezza
- Mahindra XUV500
Which Applications are Supported in Android Auto ?
- Google Map.
- Amazon Music, Google Play Music, RadioPlayer, Spotify, TuneIn.
- Facebook Messenger, Google Hangout, WhatsApp, Skype, WeChat, Telegram
You must have you used ‘OK Google’ feature of Google for giving voice commands to your mobile phone. Well Android Auto is all about Voice commands. You can control your mobile phone applications through your voice command which will appear on your car head unit. Using ‘OK Google’ is a lot fun and interesting, just by saying ‘Hey Google’ you can explore many things while driving having Hand-Free experience. Right from making phone call, texting someone to switch on and off your car lights Google assistant can do this for you.
Android Auto Features :-
- Navigation is made so easy like never before for users. You can use Google map navigation to reach your destination with minimum traffic route and real time tracking through GPS. And best thing is you can do this with your voice control. You don’t need to manually input your destination. You can just say “Hey Google Navigate me to Dadar station” and you are done. Google will navigate you through the route having minimum traffic. Furthermore making our task simple, Google remembers your default locations such as Office, Home. You can say “Hey Google, Navigate to Home/Office” and you wiil reach your desire destination. Isn’t it cool ?
- Along with navigation, communication is also ease through this technology. Although Calling while driving is not preferable but for some non-avoidable reason you can use that. For calling you can just say “Hey Google, Call Sanjay” and your call will be connected to the person you want. Calling is suitable option for you ? You can always prefer texting. You can send messages through various medium such as Skype, Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat etc. You can use this feature by saying “Hey Google, Text Sanjay through Whatsapp” and it will ask you for what message you want to give and you can narrate the messages through voice(no typing needed).
- Music + Driving = Peace. You can avail entertainment using music apps such as Pandora, Google Play Music, Amazon Music and Audible. You can play music by saying “Hey Google, Play “Perfect” on Play Music” and Done. Video entertainment is not available as it can cause distractions while driving vehicle.
In which Countries Android Auto is available ?
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United State
How is the User Interface of Android Auto ?
As Android Auto has to be use by Driver while Driving some precautions has to be taken. As standard rule “KISS” i.e Keep It Simple Stupid, the user interface of Android Auto is made simpler. The main screen is divided into 5 parts. The main screen is Google Now Display which shows recently played music, quick access to the locations you usually travel. In general the interface is nice with less distractions. Icon are big and sensibly designed.
Final words of Praising, According to recent reports it is seen that Android Auto is more safer than standard car infotainment systems.
- Research has found Android Auto to be less distracting than native infotainment systems.
- In testing, users were able to perform tasks quicker when using Android Auto.
- However, Android Auto can still create unsafe distraction levels.
Well some food for thought, Android Auto is for the Android user having Android version above Lolipop(5.0+) and for IOS user there is app called CarPlay which works same as that of Android Auto.
With all Praising, here comes as drawback both Android Auto and CarPlay cause unsafe levels of distraction and suggested that user should not use these features to perform complex task.